playing around with (HTML) type

I haven't really been looking too carefully at the compose tab when I am entering a post, I guess. Just noticed now that (unlike wordpress) blogspot allows you to change the fonts and sizes of bits inside the text intuitively.

Great news! Means you can have custom designed block quotes on your posts, without having to write too much code! (The default block quote command does not look too clever since it pushes the text inside, so it is usually quite tough to get things correctly aligned with it).

Of course, one would need to be very careful when doing any of this because it might end up looking absolutely awful if you don't get it right. Still, I cannot resist and am trying one out right now. The body text on this blog is Arial so I will use Times New Roman to get a nice contrast between sans-serif and serif. Usually works very well - especially if serif is also set in italic:
______________________________

And now I will make this quite big, so that it really stands out from the body text.
______________________________

Since this is a special element, a strong color should be OK to use for type: So, I made this a dark blue for added accentuation. Now, I will go back to the regular font size/color and write some more, so that I have enough text to fill the post - a block quote needs a lot of text to nest inside properly. Notice that I also added lines to top and bottom to give it even more definition. While the body text is justified, the big text is flush left since at such a big size it would be very difficult to justify the type and not get "white rivers", which are the lines that run through and break up body text vertically. Very clumsy whenever that happens...

Although I started out on the compose tab I ended up tweaking the code in the HTML tab of the post editor quite a bit: Changed the font size from x-large to a pixel value, and also I changed the line height with an added <div> tag. So, here is what the code for this ended up looking like (the stuff that I added/tweaked is marked up in black):

<div style="line-height: 30px;"><i><span class="Apple-style-span" style="color: black; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 38px;">And now I will make this quite big so that it really stands out from the body text.</span></i></div>

.................................................................................................................................